Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Employment Law Attorney / Atlanta Uninsured Driver Accident Attorney

Atlanta Uninsured Driver Accident Attorney

Being involved in a traffic collision is always a traumatic experience. But at least you can seek compensation from the other party if it was not your fault. But what happens when the other driver has no insurance? What if it was a hit and run and the at-fault party that fled was never found? In these cases, victims sometimes have no options for recovering their damages. However, if you have an uninsured motorist (UM) policy through your auto insurance company, you may be able to seek compensation through your own insurance company. Atlanta hit by uninsured driver attorney Christine Forsythe at The Forsythe Law Firm, LLC handles hit and runs, uninsured motorist claims, and underinsured motorist claims.

What Do I Do if the Other Party Has No Insurance?

One out of eight drivers in Georgia has no auto insurance. That means that one out of eight cars you see driving around is occupied by an illegal driver. What happens if you get hit by one of these drivers—drivers that are more likely to cause wrecks than insured drivers because there is most likely a reason they do not have insurance (DUIs and causing crashes results in higher insurance premiums they may not be willing to pay)—and you end up with a serious injury, a totaled car, and hospital bills? This is where your UM coverage comes into play. UM (uninsured/underinsured motorist) policies exist to cover you in the event of being injured by an uninsured driver. However, you need an attorney to represent you in a UM claim, even though you will be seeking compensation from your own insurance company.

Minimum Auto Insurance in Georgia (Underinsured Drivers)

The minimum auto insurance in Georgia, like just about all other states, is incredibly low. So low, in fact, that it will likely not cover the full amount of damages resulting from a serious injury. The following policy is the state minimum:

  • $25,000 in bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 in bodily injury per accident
  • $25,000 in property damage per accident

As such, even if the other driver was insured and driving on the road legally, they still may not have enough to cover your damages. For example, $25,000 (the maximum in bodily injury per person) would not even cover the national average three-day hospital stay. Fortunately, you can seek compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance company, as well as from your own insurance company under your UM policy to make up the difference in what you are owed.

Hit and Runs

Your UM policy applies to hit and runs as well. If the other party fled the scene and is never located, you can file a claim with your own insurance company demanding compensation under your UM policy.

Call an Atlanta Hit by Uninsured Driver Attorney Today

If you were hit by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit and run driver, you do have options for being compensated. To file a claim with your own insurance company, call Atlanta uninsured and hit and run attorney Christine Forsythe at The Forsythe Law Firm, LLC. Reach us at 404.476.2717 today to schedule a free consultation with one of Atlanta’s most experienced trial attorneys.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn